Home extensions are a great way to open up your home. From conservatories, to sun rooms, to a brand new wing, home extensions can really bring in the natural light. But why is natural light a benefit? And how can a home extension help with this? Here at David Haworth Design, we are design and extension specialists. As a result, we have produced this guide to help you plan a home extension that will fill your home with light.
Firstly, why natural light?
Natural light is a huge part of our health and wellbeing. Not just our physical health, but also for our mental wellbeing. Many of us spend up to 22 hours a day inside. During this time, we are overloaded with artificial light from every angle. This can have a negative impact on our sleep patterns, our hormones, and our immune system.
So why is natural light so good for our health?
Natural light provides our body with cues. This is what helps our internal body clock to function correctly. Your body clock effects your sleep pattern and your hormone regulation. A regulated sleep pattern has a range of benefits including:
- a more active, stronger, immune system
- feeling more awake, alert and wanting to be active
- feeling less hungry
- a healthier blood pressure
- a better memory and more focused concentration
How can you add natural light with a home extension?
A well planned and designed home extension can include:
- full glass ceilings- These can flood your extension with light. You can add glass roof windows that are also extremely practical, allowing you to regulate the temperature during the summer months. A full glass ceiling can be a stunning feature in a kitchen or living room.
- bi-fold doors- These are not only great for allowing the light to enter your home, but they are also extremely practical. Bi-fold doors are often full glass, and they fold back on themselves, opening up your whole extension to the outdoors. This not only improves the natural light within your home, it also provides the opportunity to bring the outside in.
- Full length windows– These are perfect for places were a bi-fold door would not be appropriate. These can offer panoramic views of your garden and outdoor space, while opening your room to natural light.
For more information or advice, contact us at David Haworth Design today.